School Dinner Jam Sponge, 90p for 4 at 23p each.
100g self raising flour, 4p (65p/1.5kg)
70g butter, 34p (£1.20/250g)
2 eggs, 44p (£2.65/12 free range)
50g sugar, 5p (89p/kg)
4 heaped teaspoons of jam, 3p (29p/454g)
1. Place the butter in a microwaveable dish and heat on the defrost setting for 30 seconds until soft. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the flour and sugar, and break the eggs in.
3. Mix well with a fork or wooden spoon to create a smooth batter.
4. Lightly grease each of your pudding tins with a little extra butter to stop the puddings from sticking to the sides – which will ruin a seriously good dessert!
5. Dollop a generous blob of jam in the bottom of each pudding tin.
6. Spoon batter on top of the jam until each tin is approx 2/3 full.
7. Cook in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes at 170C. They should be risen, light and golden, and should come away from the tin easily to serve.
8. Tip into a bowl to serve. Can be served with custard, but I don’t bother. In fact, I just devour it. *chomp!*
Jack Monroe. Twitter: @MsJackMonroe
*(Prices calculated at Sainsburys, using the Basics range where available. Costs checked on date of publication against ASDA SmartPrice, Tesco Value, Morrisons Value and Waitrose Essentials. Some variation between major supermarkets but most items widely available at similar price.)