Lemon Curd Sponge Puddings, 24p.
Lemon Curd Sponge Puddings, 95p for 4 or 24p each.
Luckily for me, as I shop very carefully, I have most of the ingredients for this in the cupboard at all times. Unluckily for my jeans, that means I’m never more than thirty-two minutes away from a cake…
This is a simple, classic, sticky treat, that Small Boy and myself enjoy every now and again. They also freeze well, so I make four – we have one each, and pop the remaining two in the freezer.
If you don’t have pudding tins, then a deep muffin tray will do the job just as well, but may make six smaller desserts instead.
100g self raising flour, 4p (65p/1.5kg)
70g butter, 34p (£1.20/250g)
2 eggs, 44p (£2.65/12 free range)
50g sugar, 5p (89p/kg)
Splash of lemon juice, 2p (60p/250ml)
8 heaped teaspoons of lemon curd, 6p (22p/411g)
1. Place the butter in a microwaveable dish and heat on the defrost setting for 30 seconds until soft. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the sugar and a few shakes of lemon, and mix together until well combined. Break the eggs in, and add the flour.
3. Mix well with a fork or wooden spoon to create a smooth, glossy batter.
4. Lightly grease each of your pudding tins with a little extra butter to stop the puddings from sticking to the sides – which will ruin a seriously good dessert!
5. Dollop a generous blob of lemon curd in the bottom of each pudding tin.
6. Divide the batter between each pudding tin, spooning it on top of the lemon curd until each tin is approx 2/3 full.
7. Cook in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes at 170C. They should be risen, light and golden, and should come away from the tin easily to serve.
8. Tip into a bowl to serve. Can be served with additional lemon curd, warmed through to make a sticky sauce – that’s how I eat mine!
Jack Monroe. Twitter: @MsJackMonroe
*(All prices quoted are Sainsburys or Sainsburys Basics where available, correct at time of publication. Costs checked against ASDA SmartPrice, Tesco Value, Morrisons Value and Waitrose Essentials ranges. Some variation between spermarkets but most items widely available at similar prices.)